Speaking Scottish is looking for a Voluntary Assistant to support the existing team with the day-to-day running of the project.
An ideal candidate would be someone as passionate about the project as we are who may be interested in taking on more responsibilities for the site as a whole in future (see “Potential Future Tasks” below). Furthermore, we are particularly interested in speaking to both:
- People who have good knowledge of a part of Scotland other than Edinburgh and East Lothian
- People who have come to Scotland as speakers of English as an Additional Language
- Role type: voluntary, remote, self-directed/flexible hours but working closely with the main team
- Positions available: 1, max. 2 depending on applicant availability
- Weekly hours: estimated 2-3hrs a week with an additional 1hr a week of training during the first month (as required)
- Start date: mid-late August (flexible)
- Application deadline: midnight Sun. 1st August
- Interviews: 2nd-13th August by video call
Speaking Scottish aims to work sustainably, with a team-wide break of 1wk approx. every 8wks.
- Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with details of any relevant experience and skills
- Include any extra details about yourself you think would be helpful in your email – including your rough availability
- If possible, come along to our Open Meeting on Sat. 24th July to find out more about the project
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Social media: involvement in planning; posting of content across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter; making images on Canva*
- Processing Voices audio: clipping approved files and uploading to relevant articles on website*
- Writing monthly newsletter and sending via Mailchimp* (content decided by full team); posting updates to blog
- Uploading learning content to website in correct format*
- Reaching out to others who may want to feature in blog series (e.g. Living in Scotland) or to contribute audio material
*Training provided as required.
Potential Future Tasks
- Taking part in discussions on content/learning materials
- Writing/creating and editing new learning materials
- Broader planning to do with future of the project
- Developing the website to be more accessible and user friendly
- Developing media (e.g. videos, images, podcasts) to supplement the site
The above tasks will depend on your specific skillset and interests, and can be discussed during the interview.
- Happy to work with a variety of platforms*, including social media, Google Docs, Mailchimp, WordPress, audio trimming software and WhatsApp
- Able to write copy for social media, blog and newsletter*
- An interest and investment in the project and its aims
- Understanding of the nature of the project and what “Speaking Scottish” means to us
*Experience desirable but not necessary.